When I asked my awesome facebook friends what I should write about for today's blog, the subject 'living life to the fullest' came up. I sat here pondering this notion for some time before I had to ask myself.....do I know how to do that?
I took to Google with my quest reading quotes, thoughts and ideals that promise to help you live your life to its fullest potential. And, let me tell you, there is no shortage of information on the subject available. There are books, self help DVDs, websites and blogs dedicated to the subject. All promise to yield results of a fabulous life. What makes a fabulous life? (That depends on which website/book/blog you are reading!)
To me, living one's life to the fullest means living in the moment and ultimately just being happy. Sounds simple enough, right? Maybe. But it's not always so easy. Life just has a knack for getting in the way sometimes. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I get so busy that I just don't have time to add 'living in the moment' to my mile long checklist. Not to mention that it would take me fifteen minutes just to figure out how to add it to my 'To Do' list on my Blackberry. Luckily, I have a few go-to things I can do to add a little happiness to my day and bring my butt back to the present. So, I am going to add a few more things to the plethora of knowledge out there on living life to the fullest.....
- Sing in the car. Loud. And dance. Well, as much as one can dance in a car. Reel the person next to you in using your imaginary fish pole, disco and sing into your bottle of Germ-X. You're the star of your own life. So act like it, Rockstar. :) Focusing on whatever song is playing pulls your attention back to where it should be. Just go easy on the dancing when the car is moving! My favorite 'rock out in the car song'? 'Raise Your Glass' by Pink!
- Smile. At the person in front of you at the grocery store. At your boss. At your friend over lunch. At that person at the office that really just pisses you off. At your mom. At your second cousin twice removed. At the good lookin' little devil in the mirror. Just the act of smiling makes you feel better and happier. And when that smile is returned.....priceless! :)
- Hug a puppy. Ok, so maybe not the best idea for everyone, but for me this is always a winner. There is something so special about the love of a dog. Maybe because they give it so freely with no expectation of anything in return. We would do well to learn from their furry example! So, play fetch with Fido, get a puppy kiss or scratch the belly of a well deserving pooch. Try not to be happy. I dare you.
- Eat chocolate. Whatever your favorite kind is. Have a bite and let it melt in your mouth. Close your eyes and just enjoy it. That is why God made chocolate.
- Spend some time in the great outdoors. And with fall right around the corner, this is one of my favorite things to do. Take a walk or lay out on a blanket with a good book and soak in some sunshine. I love laying out on a blanket ( with sunglasses and SPF on, people!!) and listening to the sounds of the day. No matter how hectic my life is, something about hearing the leaves rustling in the trees brings me back to where I need to be. Right here.....or uh....there. You know what I mean.
- Talk to someone you love. And by talk I do not mean text. Meet a friend for coffee, hang out with mom or anyone that you care about. Focus on the conversation at hand. Ask questions, listen intently and give that person your undivided attention.
- Break free of the electronic leash. Remember what life was like without cell phones? Find out. For a day, go laptop/cell phone/email/iPhone free. Enjoy living. You can talk about it on facebook tomorrow.
- Listen to 'Good Life' by One Republic. That song just puts me in a good mood. Please tell me-e-e-e what there is to complain about?
I want to dedicate this blog to my cousin Sammie Jo. This one is for you, lady.
What helps YOU live your life to the fullest and live in the moment?